Notifications
Clear all

DAY 3: Genesis 2:5-7  

RSS

Alison Simmons
(@laughhopethrive)
Member Admin
03/04/2020 10:30 am  

Have you ever read scripture and thought, "Well, that seems like the exact opposite of what I just read." These verses are the beginning of a "zoomed in" version of the 6th day of creation when God created Adam and Eve. It is not a separate account of how things happened but just provides us with more details as to how God did it.

But here is what used to throw me (I am using the ESV, so your version may be slightly different)..."when no bush of the field was yet in the land and no small plant had yet sprung up." Here's the problem, according to chapter 1, God created the plants and trees on Day 3 and this is Day 6. So this can't be right, can it?! 

First, we must exercise faith and trust that God's word is the Truth and cannot contradict itself even if we don't understand it. Second, it is okay to have questions about what the Scriptures say and dig deeper. When I took the time to study and ask questions about this verse, I learned that the original Greek text meant "open country" so it wasn't saying that there were no bushes or plants anywhere, but that there were none in this area. 

Have you ever questioned these verses or any others in the Bible? How do you handle that? Do you shrug your shoulders and use "blind faith" or do you ask questions and dig deeper? Neither are wrong, as long as you accept that God's word is Truth!

Alison

Racheljacobi
(@racheljacobi)
03/04/2020 11:00 am  

I think I use both. When I don’t understand something or find a “ contradiction” I pray and acknowledge my human mind and ask for his understanding and insight and then I go searching for other scripture or books that gives a more detailed account or from other preachers that I trust who have studied the word more in depth.  Sometimes though there are no answers ( I’m looking at you revelations) and I just trust and believe. ❤️

ReplyQuote
JoAmmon
(@joammon)
03/04/2020 11:52 am  

I think I lean more toward "blind faith"  and know that His word is true so I must be misunderstanding something. Like Rachel said, acknowledging my human mind can't wrap around something doesn't mean it isn't truth. I think I could learn more if I took the approach of digging deeper sometimes. 

ReplyQuote
StaceyLK
(@staceylk)
Eminent Member
03/04/2020 5:47 pm  

Yes, I think I use a bit of both: blind faith & digging. If there's something that I don't understand, I do know that God's Word is truth, so it's me that's the problem. Either I read it wrong, misunderstood, etc. And depending on what it is - sometimes blind faith is enough. Other times, digging is more important to me. 😊

ReplyQuote
Hrand62312
(@hrand62312)
03/04/2020 10:16 pm  

I am a mixture of both but typically lean toward blind faith. I never doubt the truth of God's word but do tend to have questions quite often. My husband is very much a digger so I tend to rely on him for explaining things when I have questions. We make a good team in that sense. 

ReplyQuote
Arussell2012
(@arussell2012)
04/04/2020 8:37 am  

I think I would say both, I don’t understand the trinity but I think that’s one thing we won’t understand fully until we’re heaven. I think God has design some things like that, where do we test our faith. But there things I don’t understand and I will do more research. I loved verse 7 just a beautiful picture how powerful God is, he breathed the breath of life... 

I believe the word of God is true. And some things I won’t fully understand but that doesn’t change God. 

ReplyQuote
Alison Simmons
(@laughhopethrive)
Member Admin
04/04/2020 8:55 am  

@arussell2012 I agree about verse 7! In my personal reflection, I said the same thing. God literally gave Adam breath from Himself. And we continue to depend on Him for each breath we take today. If only I would remember that more often! ❤️ 

Alison

ReplyQuote
Cindy Simmons
(@shortmeyer)
Eminent Member
08/04/2020 4:05 pm  

I think I just have faith that God’s word is true and don’t doubt it. I have been saved from a young age so feel like it has always been a part of my life, part of who I am. 

ReplyQuote
Share:
Loading cart ...