Notifications
Clear all

Day 28: John 3:19-20  

RSS

Alison Simmons
(@laughhopethrive)
Member Admin
28/04/2020 9:44 am  

It helps to cross-reference today's verses with John 8:12 where Jesus says, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."

We are reminded that Jesus came into the world and the world rejected Him because they loved the darkness more than Him. Why? Because "their works were evil."

These verses aren't just talking about the religious leaders and people of Jesus's day. They apply to our world today too!

Anything that does not come from God is evil. 

• That includes allowing someone to continue to live in sin because confronting them is awkward.
  • That includes focusing on the logistics of a ministry more than on pointing people to Jesus through the ministry.
  • That includes acting, or not acting, out of fear of what others will think of us if we live for Jesus. 
  • That includes us caring more about our comfort or the comfort of those we love more than we care about God's will for our lives and theirs when it makes us uncomfortable.

So many things that we do every day with good intentions, but are ultimately evil in the eyes of God because they are not Christ-focused and Holy Spirit-driven. Does this mean we should stop doing good things? Of course not! But our motive matters!

Think of the things that you do, the places you go, the things you say...or all that you don't do, where you don't go or don't say. What are your motives for it all? Are they for your comfort, benefit or glory...or His?

Alison

Racheljacobi
(@racheljacobi)
28/04/2020 10:47 am  

Definitely a good reminder to stop and check myself about my motives. I feel like I fail at this a lot because it’s just our nature to think of ourselves so much. I think this is a sin I commit sometimes without even realizing it. It’s nice to have this pointed out so that I can examine my life and daily habits to see if they are Christ focused or Rachel focused.  

ReplyQuote
StaceyLK
(@staceylk)
Eminent Member
28/04/2020 2:53 pm  

Definitely a great, needed reminder for me. Our world is so ME focused, that I think I fall into that a lot! I think I'm doing that a lot these days...as my grown children have moved out, or are gone a lot because of friends or jobs, whatever. I think - YES! ME TIME!!! I DESERVE IT! I homeschooled those kids from day 1 to day whatever it was...and never had time for ME. Now is my time! But guess what? Now I have grandkids. It's happening all over again! Haha! Gotta give up some of my ME time to care for my grand babies! I love them...but man, I am older than I was when I was raising my kiddos. I get tired easier & faster these days dealing with stuff...so I am having to check myself now. What is more important? ME time, or helping my kids raise their children (aka babysitting) to hopefully one day come to know Jesus? Yeah...ME time can wait...again... 😉

ReplyQuote
Cindy Simmons
(@shortmeyer)
Eminent Member
28/04/2020 8:48 pm  

I agree with Stacey...instead of ME time I need to focus on what I’m doing for His glory, what will count for eternity!  
It reminds of this little poem:

Only one life, will soon be past,

Only what’s done for Christ will last!

ReplyQuote
Arussell2012
(@arussell2012)
29/04/2020 8:49 am  

This was a very good reminders... often I don’t check my motives and often comes back to bite me in the butt. Lol

This also a good reminder to really listen to God and obey. I am reading Joshua now and something I find so interesting is he never strays from what God wants him to do no matter how hard. 

I think with our motives as so much to do with our own will that I don’t always go ask God what he wants me to do. 
good reminder for me friend 

ReplyQuote
Share:
Loading cart ...