Notifications
Clear all

DAY 2: Genesis 2:1-3 Reflection (share yours be replying to this topic)  

RSS

Alison Simmons
(@laughhopethrive)
Member Admin
02/04/2020 8:24 am  

Rest...a concept that we understand, but often don't practice.

On the 7th day, He rested. But why?

Was God tired from all that He had done during the work of creation? No
Did God feel like He deserved to rest after all the work He did during creation? No

God rested for our sake. He rested to set an example for us because He knew that we would need it.
He commanded us to rest like He did because He knew that we wouldn't rest as we should.

Obeying this command to rest doesn't mean that we have to take an entire day off and do nothing at all. It means building in margin in areas of our life where we have allowed something to take over and there is no room for God in that space physically, mentally or emotionally.

Maybe your bedroom closet is overflowing with clothes and shoes and it makes you feel stressed whenever you walk into it. Maybe your work has become so demanding you never stop thinking about it and focus on pleasant things. Maybe you are so focused on a relationship in your life that it has become unhealthy. 

Where do you need to create margin or space in your life so that God has room to be a part of it?

Alison

JoAmmon liked
JoAmmon
(@joammon)
02/04/2020 8:53 am  

I need to make more effort to set aside my busy thoughts and focus on pleasant things. Especially in this trying time, I am staying overwhelmed and stressed with the obvious overlap of home and work. Trying to create lessons for my students from home, managing a caseload of 40+ special education students, interacting and enjoying my toddler, and keeping up with daily chores is becoming a larger workload than I anticipated. I know there are men and women out there doing so much more, but to me, this is more than I've ever managed before. Instead of viewing my time with God as another thing to mark off my list (I know this sounds terrible), I need to rest in peace when I spend my time with him, which will in turn make the rest of my load easier to carry. 

ReplyQuote
Alison Simmons
(@laughhopethrive)
Member Admin
02/04/2020 10:09 am  
Posted by: @joammon

Instead of viewing my time with God as another thing to mark off my list (I know this sounds terrible), I need to rest in peace when I spend my time with him, which will in turn make the rest of my load easier to carry. 

I totally get this and I know that so many of us are guilty of just "checking the box" (at least I know I have been way more often than I would like to admit!). And you nailed it when you said that taking time with him will bring you the peace you need. 😍 

Alison

JoAmmon liked
ReplyQuote
Racheljacobi
(@racheljacobi)
02/04/2020 10:34 am  

I Definitely need to create the time for him during my bible reading. So many times I look at my reading as something to do THEN I can get my day started and during reading my mind is elsewhere and thinking of my to do list with the house and the kids and getting things ready for dinner that evening. I need to slow my mind down and set that time aside for him only. 

ReplyQuote
Cindy Simmons
(@shortmeyer)
Eminent Member
02/04/2020 11:25 am  

I am definitely at a different place in my life where I can set aside time in my day for Him. I love my mornings with the Lord...just He and I.  It starts my day off right. If there is a day where I don’t get up early enough and miss my quiet time before my day begins my day just seems off and I feel like I missed something that day. I think my favorite part of my morning is my prayer time with Him. ♥️

ReplyQuote
StaceyLK
(@staceylk)
Eminent Member
02/04/2020 10:28 pm  

I'm thankful to have my mornings back again. My daughter, son in law & 2 grandboys had lived with us for almost 3 years. I had no morning. No routines to speak of. It was very stressful for me! They moved out a month ago, and God literally made me slow down & rest! I got sick. I was sick the entire month of March...and I'm still getting over it after a few rounds of antibiotics & lots of other meds! Hopefully I'm on my way to healed. But being so sick I have had to literally do nothing otherwise I would have coughing fits! I dont like it at all!! But God knew I needed to stop. And since they moved out, my mornings are back for resting. Reading the Word. Spending time with God. But I've been so unused to it that I've had to get back "into it". It's a struggle to be "all there"...and not let my mind wander. I'll get there. But right now, I'm thankful for this monthly challenge that you're doing. Thanks, Alison!

ReplyQuote
Alison Simmons
(@laughhopethrive)
Member Admin
03/04/2020 10:19 am  

@staceylk I am so glad you are feeling better! I have had the opposite happen in my life. For 7 months, I was home with only 1 kid and living on easy street...now all 5 are here ALL DAY LONG and my days are totally chaos. But these verses reminded me that "resting in God" still has to be a priority!

Alison

StaceyLK liked
ReplyQuote
Share:
Loading cart ...